Posted by: Peter | 2008-12-18

Depression or Heartache

Hi there,

I want to explain to you what I' m going through with a little bit of background and get some guidance.

Firstly, I' ve been to two psychologists. 1 wanted me on SSRI' s for a year and the other didn' t.

Secondly, I have a high pressured job at a young age.

Last but not least, I found out the girl I was going to one day marry and had been with for many years cheated on me, we eventually broke up (I was shattered) and now I' m with someone else who I think I' ve fallen in love with and things are a bit wobbly.

Oh and on top of it, yes I did go through a phase many years ago where I did copius amounts of drugs but have been cleaned for many years - I dont have an addictive personality or atleast my minds strong enough to get over it.

The long and the short is I had an anxiety attack two weeks ago so I went to see some psychologists. I' m feeling a little down to day but it' s not consistent, some days are better than others usualy and it' s not as bad as it was, I' m just worried I might eb sliding in the wrong direction.

Yes my appetite was low, yes my libido was low, yes I lost interest in things, yes I couldn' t sleep, yes I couldn' t concentrate, yes I was quite reckless and yes I had anxiety and yes I' m not 100% fixed just yet and it almost 3 weeks on the trot. But again, some days I' m OK.

I do have a bad temper, but I' m controlling that focusing on a balance life while remaining centred so I don t do anything stupid and feel guilty.

What I' m getting at is whether or not I' m depressed or feeling down becuase I' m going through a bit of wobble with my girlfriend?

Obviously I can't tell at a distance, especially when you have seen other shrinks for a proper assessment. Any effective treatment decision needs to be based on a proper and competent assessment and diagnosis ( and "well" ican be an especially difficult diagnosis to make ). But there are internationally agreed criteria to decide whether someone is truly Depressed, or unhappy ; whethere there's an Anxiety Disorder, or reasonable anxiety about a situation.
If you are emotionally uncomfortable about an uncomfortable or insecure situation, then if it is interfering with your ability to enjoy work, and life and relationships, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) should help you to gain the power to sort it out. If you are Depressed or have an Anxiety Disoder, then CBT would also be the ebst bet, possibly aided by the use of some medications such as those used to treat Depression.

Posted by: Peter | 2008-12-18

The thing is, I only get like this when I feel like I' m going to lose the person I' m with. Nothing else seems to get me in this state.

Reply to Peter