Question
Posted by: Anon17 | 2008/10/29

Depression never disappears- HELP

Hi Doc,

I am a 28 year old woman, have been depressed since i was 19. I have been to so many Psychologists and even 2 Psychiatrists. Been put on all types of medication from anti depressants to tranqualisers. I am so desperate now. The problem is the fees get really expensive and i also tend to loss interest after 10 or so sessions. What other can i try??

This is affecting my life and health.. Please help

Unless a psychologist uses the proven method of cognittive-behaviour therapy to work with your depression, seeing them would be useless. A psychiatrist would be better placed to select useful antidepressant medication, and tranquillizers should never be used in treating depression. Sounds like you need a fresh assessment from a really good shrink, with proper discussion of treatment options, to include CBT and antidepressants --- and that you need, from your side, to contribute a committment to press ahead beyond that 10th session --- sometimes its persistence on your side that's the crucial ingredient