Posted by: Jenny | 2010-07-13

Depression - natural alternatives

My Mom was recommended either Biral or 5 HTP as a natural alternative to anti-depressant medicine. She is 55 years old, with ITP and Crohn''s disease, so can''t take certain prescibed medicine. My Gran is starting to get Alzheimer''s and my Mom is looking after her 24/7, which she doesn''t mind, but that is contributing to her depression. Which would u recommend she can take which would be more effective, the Biral or the 5 HTP? Many thanks.

Expert ImageNatural health

the Biral relaxes the nervous system whilst the 5HTP helps to improve Serotonin (happy hormone). Incidently 70% of serotonin is produced in the GUT, so GUT health is essential. Consider using Iberogast to control inflammation in the colon.

Kind regards
Dr Debbie