Question
Posted by: Unhappy | 2010-02-18

Depression Medication - Lexamil &  Xanor

My husband and I are both using Lexamil (10mg) 1 in the morning and Xanor SR, 1 twice a day (although I am taking only one in the morning.)

My husband gets an erection but is having difficulty to get an orgasm.

Will the symtoms get better or worse and isn' t there something we can take to improve our sexual life? We are using it for about a month.

Lexamil is an antidepressant, escitalopram ; Xanor, SR or othwise, is not and never ever has been an antidepressant - it is a sedative. I have no idea why one would prescribe it, especially in a long-acting formulation, in depression, let alone twice a day.
Now, pretty well all antidepressants can cause sexual problems in SOME of the people who take them ; none cause it in everyone. There could be difficulties in getting an erection, or difficulties in reaching orgasm. The sedaitve Xanor in such a large dose might also contribute to this.
Generally, side-effects are at their worst in the first couple of weeks, so they're not likely to improve if still present after a month.
If you / he are being treated by a GP, I would recommend that he see a proper specialist psychiatrist for re-assessment of treatment, as a different antidepressant may suit him much better.

2
Posted by: OrgasmSeeker | 2014-06-11

Also take note that there's a chance that the side effect might turn into a permanent route(irreversible). You took the 1st step; it is a good thing. Consult with the right medical officer. Thanks

Reply to OrgasmSeeker