Question
Posted by: Madelaine | 2011/09/26

Depression Medication

Hi there Doctor

My father had a panic attack and went to the doctor and he prescribed the following meds to him, my dad NEVER had depression but there is a few things happening in his life to cause this depresssion. Our children are worried about him and the medication:
Serped 50mg 1 per day
Nexiam 40mg 1 per day
Urband 10mg 2 per day
stilnox 1 at night

What do you think about the prescribed meds?

OK, from the sound of it your dad saw a GP ? I don't recognize the meds you mention. Urbanol is primarily an antidepressant. Drugs used to treat depression are also often useful in managing panic disorder, even though Urbanol might not be my first choice among the many that are available. Nexiam I know only as a trade name for the drug Esomeprazole, and is used to treat stomach ulcers and severe indigestion. I don't see what it would have to do with treating panic disorder. And Serped I don't know and don't readily find relevant infor about on the web.
I think as you are all concerned, it should be aranged for your dad to see a good local Psychiatrist, for a full assessment, and then a discussion of treatment options and their benefits and effecits. Generally a well-chosen antidepressant can indeed help, as can some specific forms of talking therapy called CBT ( COgnitive-Behaviour Therapy ).

1