Question

Depression in remission.

41 year old female - am currently on Remeron and 175ml Efexor indefinitely. Have had 3 severe episodes of major depression (suicidal and hospitalised) and psychiatrist thinks I should stay on the meds for life whereas psychologist thinks I will be able to come off them? Any opinon would be much appreciated.

A psychologist has important areas of expertise, but medication is NOT one of them, so listen to your psychiatrist. Generally, with one's first depression ( or something like Ouma's Panic Attacks ) one may respond well to proper treatment ( which should be continued for at least 6 to 9 months, to reduce the risk of relapse ) and may then remain well. Some folks are lucky enough to have only a single attack of depression, maybe 2 at most. But it is generally accepted specialist agreement that if one has had 3 or more significant episodes of Depression, the likelihood of further episodes is high, and it is adviseable to remain on the medicines long-term, potentially for life.

2
Posted by: OUMA | 2010/04/07

That is a good question, I have been on Cipramil for about 3 years, and have been of it for about 8 months. I dont get panic attacks anymore, and can handle my downs. I want to know if I will get a relapse or can depression be under remission?

Reply to OUMA