Question
Posted by: Josephine | 2009-08-19

Depression - Herbal remidies

I have sort of self diagnosed myself as having mild depression. I just feel unhappy a lot of the time. I eat healthy and I do a small amount of exercise. I am also extremely tired a lot (I' ve had my iron tested, its fine)

I' m not really keen to see a doctor, I dont have issues that I need to discuss with a shrink. No past traumas or anything. A work colleague just told me I always look miserable at work (even though I enjoy my job) and that got me thinking, that I do feel miserable often. I' ve had a look on the internet regarding over the counter herbal treatments for depression, and I see St Johns wort is recommended, but I am on the pill.
Any advice?
Thank you.

You know, it isn't compulsory to have major past traums to benefit from seeing a shrink ? A CBT oriented psychologist, for instance, can work efficiently to help you revise the negative thinking habits that can make one feel depressed. St John's Wort seems to help some people with mild depression --- but can cause complications with some forms of the pill, and actually works like Prozac and other antidepressants. Rather see a shrink for an assessment and discus treatment options before deciding.