Question
Posted by: Tired | 2012/04/23

Depression etc

Hi, I don''t really know where to start, my husband is depressed. I know this because of his suicide comments he makes on the most unreasonable times. And he doesn''t even care if it''s in front of other people. I''ve tried asking him to go see someone about it, but he just flips out on me. Telling me he''s not crazy. I recently bought him Restin, it''s a herbal vitamin filled calming aid. And it worked really well. but now it''s all done and I don''t know how to get him to take it again. I know why he''s depressed what I don''t understand is the " why"  it''s to me actually very childish. He''s mad at my mother for being someone who can''t hold her tongue and don''t ever think before she speaks which I agree with But It happened over a year ago. And he still won''t leave it. How can I get him to forgive her or just leave it and forget it all. I Have...

Depression is common, and suicidal ideas are unfortunately common. But it's unusual for someone to talk about suicide in front of other people - that sounds more like a form of cry for help, of wanting people to take his depression seriously and push him to get help.
Encourage him to get proper help, and emphasize that it is because he is NOT crazy, that he deserves help to keep him from craziness.
I know of no evidence that Restin or any other such herbal remedy is effective in real depression. When you say you don't know how to get him to take it again, it sounds as though you somehow tricked him into taking it before - surely if he knowingly took it and felt better, he shoulnt resist taking it again ?
I'm not sure about the theory you give, as a cause for real depression. It sounds like such an unpleasantly sharp tongued old woman would make one angry, not depressed. And that's not childish. If he is still brooding about something she said a year ago, that's ruminating of an excessive degree.
The situation sounds confusing and potentially serious, so concentrate on persuading him to see at least a GP, and preferably a psychiatrist, for an assessment and a discussion of treatment options, which would still leave it to him to decide whether then to take the advice he'd receive

1