Question
Posted by: Sad | 2012/04/24

Depression, drinking, drugging and complete disinterest in life

My dad died 2 years ago - it was a very sudden death 3 weeks from diagnosis to death. It shocked us all as we were a very close family. Since my dad''s death my mom has gone off the rails. She is acting like a person we don''t know. I recently (end of last year) convinced her to go and see someone about her depression which she did reluctantly and got onto some anti depressants and anti-axiety tabs. I told her she needs grief counselling, but she says she can''t talk to someone she doesn''t know. She makes no effort to make female friends. The meds have helped, but she is living a really reckless life, she is hanging out with men 20 years her junior (men with no jobs, house, money etc.), drinking all the time, smoking joints, bongs etc as often as possible...like nothing else in her life matters. We have tried to encourage her to get a job, or find something to keep her busy but she refuses, she would rather sit at home all day and then go out at night with her many ''guy'' friends. We try to include her in our plans but she ends up embarressing us by drinking too much and passing out, so I have stopped inviting her. My sister has tried to speak to her about her complete lack of respect for herself but she hasn''t changed. I know this is a terrible thing to say, but I feel like she died when my dad died and that she is a person who through the 39 years of marriage and the mother I knew that doesnt exist anymore. I dont'' know her, nor do I want to...honestly I dont know what to do. She is my mother and I can''t just let her waste her life (she''s in her early 50''s) but I feel guilty ignoring her. Just before my Dad died he asked me if I would take care of her if he died and I said I would....but I have a husband and 2 kids of my own to think of. My sister speaks to her and all my mother speaks about is bragging about her reckless behaviour - like she has nothing else to talk about and has lost the person she is. It''s making me depressed, I can''t sleep and I feel helpless.

Its a common concern, or excuse, that one expects to find it difficult to talk to a therapist because they['re "a stranger" - but of course everyone you meet is a stranger at first, and a therapist has particular skills to help make it easier to get used to talking in this situation.
In her 50's she should require "taking care of " at this stage of her life, but the request suggests she feels very shaky and insecure of her ability to take care of herself. Counselling / psychotherapy is Definitely needed, so continue to work towards persuading her to move ahead this way.
I agree with Anon that some books may be helpful, IF they are written by and based on the work of genuien experts. I very strongly do NOT recommend the book Anon mentions, because it is foolishly based on the false and totally discredited work of Elizabeth Kubler-Ross. I knew Elizabeth, and while we got on well personall, she made wild claims abour having done "research" she never actually did, and eventually chatted about being visited in her hotel room by friendly hairy-chested angels,and there was a major scandal at a treatment center she ran in California. The "Stages" theory is utter hogwash, and all good evidence shows there are not and never were 5 stages in any sense of the word "stage". Her misleading "stages" were simply a commercial re-packaging of well recognized and common ways of responding to loss and alarm, that are not stages, do NOT occur in any particular sequence, and therapies based on her theories have never been shown to be useful and indeed have often been found to cause more problems than they relieve.
In fact its a reliable test of any self-help book on grief or dying - if it mentions Kubler Ross and her stages with approval and without criticism, then it is not to be trusted.

4
Posted by: Raymond | 2012/05/16

Acidophilus powder: A pboriotic designed to re-build levels of the good bacteria that aid digestion. Can help boost immunity and important to take after illness and prescription drugs, especially antibiotics.Flaxseed (linseed) oil or seeds: not the kind you use for oiling cricket bats but the one on sale in health stores. Use to promote and maintain healthy digestionAloe Vera Juice: Odd but not unpleasant-tasting rapid gut healer which can help kick-start sluggish bowels and keep digestion healthy. Again, on sale in health stores. Check the label and look for those products with a high mucopolysaccharide content. If in doubt, mail order your supplies from Natureâ € ™ s Choice on 0208-944 5584 which stocks the good quality Forever Young range. 1000ml, which should last three months, costs a314.95. Once opened, store it in the fridge..Nuts Seeds: Almonds, cashews, sunflower, pumpkin sesame seeds. All high in protein and rich in brain-boosting essential fatty acids. Will add a nutty taste and texture to smoothies. Cheat with almond butter from the health store.*soaking nuts before blending activates the enzymes and makes them easier to digestDates: Packed with natural sugar for a quick energy hit, dates are the top-rated smoothie sweetener in our household. A mild laxative, they are a good source of the stress-busting B vitamins, calcium and magnesium.Raisins: something to chew on and high in heart-protecting potassium.Brewerâ € ™ s Yeast: Rich in the B vitamins which support the nervous system, this energy-booster helps the body metabolise sugar and is useful in helping control eczema and promoting good sleep patterns.Lecithin: Helps flush harmful fats from the body and may play a role in keeping the brain healthy. Widely available from healthstores.Wheatgrass: A superfood no less. Tastes vile on its own but that grassy flavour can be disguised with the addition of fresh mint to vegetable juices and smoothies.Vitamin C and any other vitamin pill or herbal remedyâ € ¦ smoothies are a great way to disguise the taste of herbs and nutritional supplements you may be using to tackle specific conditions. For instance, add vitamin C and echinacea tincture to beat a cold. Add a B complex supplement and acidophilus in times of stress. In other words, make your own medicine.The Incredible Bulking AgentsRice: The most easily digested of all the grains and the one least likely to trigger an allergic reaction. Technically brown rice is healthier because it has not been stripped of nutrients but researchers now believe it may also contain some anti-nutritional factor that closes the health gap with white rice.Millet: High in protein and carbohydrates, millet has a mild flavour and is also a rich source of silica which gives the lungs their elasticity, helps skin disorders, protects childrenâ € ™ s vulnerable ear, nose and throat passages and boosts the absorption of other minerals.Oat Bran: High in fibre, naturopaths prescribe oat remedies for their calming action in the body. They can help lift depression and will also keep cholesterol levels low so you can use them to counter the more harmful effects of a high fat meal later in the day.Grape Nut cereal: The toasted barley has both antioxidant and antiviral properties and so this is an excellent bulking agent if you are making an immune-boosting smoothie to ward off coughs and colds.Also, try use fruits vegetables in season, as it avoids the hayardous food-processing techniques designed to extend shelf life. If u r in UK, see the link below for list of which fruits veggies are in which season:

Reply to Raymond
Posted by: Sad | 2012/04/25

Thank you for your advice, and whilst self-help is good...I''m not sure she even wants to help herself. I will try and get her a book. You have recommended what NOT to get, can you recommend something which you think would help? How do I stop feeling guilty about avoiding her? Or is that my issue I need to sort out? It was a promise to my Dad that I ''look after'' her, I suppose not from a day to day kind of terminal patient lokking after, but more of a look out for her. I can''t be a mother to my mother.

Reply to Sad

If your mother feels uncomfortable talking to a stranger about what she is going through you should perhaps consider finding a good book on the subject of grieving and encourage her to read it. Ofcourse, it''s no subsitute for counselling but it''s worth a try if she isn''t willing to seek help. It might give her some perspective or help her better understand what she is experiencing at the moment.

On Grief and Grieving: Finding the Meaning of Grief Through the Five Stages of Loss by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, I think this is the book that my uncle bought and passed to my mother and grandmother after my grandfather passed away and it helped them all a great deal.

I think it''s important for you to remember that you have already done a great job of fulfilling your role here, you have been caring, supportive, encouraging and even included her in your activities so that she doesn''t feel alone...but ultimately she, as an adult, will make her own choices.