Posted by: unique | 2009-09-18

depression coming -no pills please

I feel i' m going for another depression. the thought is depressing on it' s own. I was treated for depression about 2 yrs ago. I stopped the medication ' cos the few I tried had unbereable side effects. molipaxin another pill in the same class caused muscle pain and fatigue. wellbutrin dizziness.,cipralex similar effects as molipaxin.
I feel helpless ' cos I know itms coming and there in nothing I can do. my thoughts are already on the negative aspects of everything. there is something with just about everthing - my job, my family - basically my whole life. I know it' s depression causing me to think this way but I can' t stop myself. I also cannt explain away the negative facts that I find when I think about my life e.g. my mother does not us equally. that just a fact of life.

anyway...bottom line question: is post natal depression also treated with anti-depressant or they give something else. I gave birth about 2 months ago.

All effective meds cause some side-effects, especially in the first couple of weeks as your boy gets used to their presence, and usually before their benefits are obvious. The exact same side-effect one persopn barely notices, another considers a temporary nuisance, and yet another decides is "intolerable" --- so they refuse to tolerate it.
However, while no other medicine makes sense in this situation, CBT, Cognitive-behaviour Therapy, a very specific form of therapy ( the Anxiety-Depression Support Group, for instance, could help guide you towards someone who can provide this ) would be a useful alternative for you --- and with no side-effects ! It focusses specifically on your habit of negative thinking, which you refer to, and helps you to regain control of such bad habits, and to revise them into more useful ways of thinking abou and intereactiving with, life in general. Try it.