Question
Posted by: olivia | 2011/09/22

Depression at work

I was diagnosed with depression a couple og month ago and is on medication. some days are better some are just...well... lets just leave it at that.
My question is as follow:
I work for a company that is in the process of being liquidated, I will be retrenched in about a month or 2. I work alone in the office and spend most of the days alone without a lot of work. This is REALLY getting to me, being so bored all the time. I find that this is the time that my bad thoughts really take over and eventually it like I can''t control it and start getting all these foolish ideas. Do you have any idea how I can make this better?

Depression is had enough to handle in the best o circumstances, let alone when facing liquidation and being bored. It sounds as though the medication has helped, but maybe not fully enough. I hope you are being seen by a consultant psychiatrist ; if not, maybe if you are still on medical Aid, arrange this rapidly, for a fresh assessment and a discussion of treatment options. Specific counselling / psychotherapy methods such as CBT ( COgnitive-Behaviour Therapy ) from a psychologist can be very useful, and maybe the choice of antidepressant needs to be reviewed.
Can you meantime find some more constructive ways to use your remaining boring time at the office ? if you have internet access, there are so many options, including searching for online programs to help cope with depression

1