Question
Posted by: help me out please | 2008/10/27

depression and work

I need to understand why depression makes it so hard to function at the office I am a senior manager and for the last two years have been battling with depression at the office . no meds help me out at all Shock treatment is the was option . Doc said some time back this is the only option left for them to help . He also mentioned some time back that I may need to go on disability due to my continually depression . Easier said than done as insurance companies hate to give money away . financially i would survive if i had to go on disability as been looking after my money over the years . worry is the insurance company would decline my application as 50% of the time i am ok buts it the other 50 % that i seem to really battle and can’ t even add one and one together without stressing out having panic attacks . would going for electric shock treatment help me ? what if it does not help me would it help towards disability if i had to go that route ? been to see two other shrinks over the years and they have told me the same if the meds do not help will have to look at electric shock treatment . I have worked so hard over the years to get to where i am and not it all feel pointless

Depression is really hard work ; and it saps your confidence, your ability to concentrate and remember, and in many ways reduces your capacity to work well. In a situation such as you describe, I would recommend seeking out a skilled Cognitive-Behaviour Therapist to work with you on CBT, which could well be useful, and if it works, would avoid the issue of Boarding. I don't think such decisions should be made before CBT has been tried properly. CBT helps anxiety and panic attacks well, and in combination with carefully selected medications, could make a big difference. Some shrinks do consider ECT an active option if proper trial of antidepressants hasn't worked ; I think CBT should be tried much earlier than that
And even if it doesn't totally clear up the Depression, it can help with that feeling of pointlessness you mention ; so that even if you did eventually proceed to Disability, you would be better able to make good use of the extra time you would have, and to find good point in what you would then be able to do.

1
Posted by: tk | 2008/10/27

There are many people who make career changes at various stages of their lives. For me I realised that the career path I chose gives me absolutley no satisfaction and I realised I will have to change my current path (despite all the studying) for my own mental well being. All I can say is use your resources to map a path that you will enjoy. Perhaps you will find that you will be a happier person? Life is too short to have to do something because you have to. Do it because you want to. Good luck

Reply to tk