Posted by: DEPRO DOWNER | 2009-08-21

Depression and stuyding for Psychology

It never occured to me untill I was rejected for income-protection on the basis of depressive episodes that I might not be able to practice psychology when I complete my studies?

I have never been off work due to depression but have taken medication twice in the past 7 years. Studying part time as I want to specialise in Psychometrics and Career guidance - but when registering with health council one must also undergo psychological evaluation not so? Must I stop my studies NOW or will I be allowed to practice?

I'd suppose that much would depend on how severe and frequent depressive episodes were, and how they respond to treatment. I know many shrinks with depression, who do fine work. I have never heard of anyone undergoing any form of psychological evaluation before registering with the HPC. ( IF they did this well, some of our sociopathic colleagues might have been beneficially excluded !) And I see no reason a all why you shouldn't pratice well and usefully

Posted by: DEPRO DOWNER | 2009-08-21

thanks! But as I am a ' mature'  student and studies are not cheap I am really worried about this - is there anywhere I can find out more about how stringent the requirements are?