Question
Posted by: Mark Blair | 2010/02/10

Depression and selfconfidence and confusion

Dear Doc,

I was diagnosed with Bipholar a year ago, in that year I went through a very distorted time of stress as I lost my job, my finacial situation was bad, couldnt think, had a bad relationship with a girlfriend. I became so lost and confused and wanted to run away from every body.

Then I was in a car accident where I wrote off my car and that made me even more stressed and I felt like an elastic that was ready to snap.

I met a girl again who is very kind and supportive but doesnt fully understand my symptoms or what I am going through inside my mind or body and I would like to know is it wise to be in a relationship right now?

I am not on medical aid at the moment and have stopped all medacine which has caused me to fall in a deeper depression and I am not sleeping at all.

I really need your guidance sir,

Please point me in the right direction.

Thank You

Mark Blair

What a truly awful year you had ! Indeed, someone who sailed through such a year without notable distress would not be brave but missing the point altogether and in denial.
It sounds as though you may be depresed, and could benefit from proper use of antidepressant meds and CBT type counselling, especially as you say you feel worse since stopping such meds. You could go to a government clinic or the psychiatry dept of your nearest medical school, for a careful re-assessment, and they could provide basic meds.
You need to work towards finding assessment and treatment in that way, which will then enhance your ability to handle whatever other problems remain. A seriosu relationship is probably not necessarily what you need at this stage, but a friendship is always useful

5
Posted by: MARK BLAIR | 2010/02/12

Well I have tried just about all to get help, called Mental Hospital at Wits no one gets back, the Clinic I have tried and they seem very cofused about Bipolar, I have even called SADAG and they even said they do not have any program for this disease as yet.

Now what do I do, I am getting more and more panicky as this gets worse and worse

Reply to MARK BLAIR
Posted by: Mark Blair | 2010/02/11

Dear Liza,

Thank you for your help and support. I will surely try it out and see where it ends up.

Thank you once again

Reply to Mark Blair
Posted by: Liza | 2010/02/11

Trying just one medication at a government hospital shouldn' t mean that you write off the help that they can give just because one medication didn' t work out. Even in private practice it takes time and effort for a psychiatrist to get you on the right medication.

There is also a big difference between the help you get at your nearest clinic and the help you get at your nearest hospital. The hospital is busy, overcrowded and there are just too many high priority patients for them to help. Phone your nearest clinic and ask whether they have a mental health department. If they don' t, call the second nearest clinic. When you go to the clinic, tell them that it is for mental health. The queue for mental health patients are always much quicker than the normal queues. I' ve actually timed it. 8 Minutes from the time I got out of my moms'  car till I was back in the car with my repeat meds. My current pharmacy can' t even beat that!

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Mark Blair | 2010/02/11

Dear Doc,

Thank you for your understanding and guidance and help, could you perhaps advise me which would be the best psychiatry school to go to, I am just a little nervous as I went to a goverment hospital once and they put me on promazine and I flipped out. I stay on the east rand. Would you know who I could call at the school as well.

Thank you doc you have really been a blessing and great help.

Mark Blair

Reply to Mark Blair