Question
Posted by: ManBoy | 2010-05-18

Depression and Psychometric Testing

I am 26 and I want to take my life back. Since High School, I''ve suffered from depression and the feelings associated with it. I have also had a feeling lingering over my head that I will die any day... for the last eleven years! I''m not dead and so I want to give life a try but the first thing I need to do is to plan a career. It seems a little late but I can''t go on living like this. I''ve always felt like I have two very distinct people inside  one is creative and the other one is square. My question is this: If I want to go for Psychometric testing to determine what career I should go into, would it be best for me to do so before or after going for counseling and / or medicating? I ask this because I don''t know whether my depressiveness will affect the outcome of the Psychometric testing.

Thanks,
ManBoy

This could be depression, or Dysthymia ( a sort of milder but longer-lasting depression ), and either can respond to proper treatment, after a proper assessment and diagnosis.

Good psychometric testing can be helpful, allowing a comparison between your strengths, weaknesses, and interests. I don't know to what extent the results of the tests could be influenced by your depression - the psychologist could tell you that ; and it would depend on the type and degree of the depression.

I'm pleased to hear that you're not dead yet, and the 11 years shows that this feeling is a reflection of personal pessimism, and not a prediction, except in the sense that everyone dies eventually.

If you go for counselling, remember that CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) is the form best supported by good research, as effective in depression and anxiety.

2
Posted by: Maria | 2010-05-18

First sort out your depression. Depression has such a profound influence on your ability to think clearly and make good decisions, that I feel there is no point in trying to build a career before you''ve dealt with the depression.

Reply to Maria