depression and extreme fatigue

what is the link? I am a 35yr old woman, chronically depressed about two years now and it has taken a massive turn for the worse ever since my retrenchment last october. Am still unemployed. I began a cycle of insomnia in Feb with 1-3 hours of sleep a night. But as of last week I am sleeping all day, maybe 18 hrs a day. My hair is also falling out and my back aches constantly, as well as terrible longlasting headaches and general dizziness, a strange foggy-brain feeling. What is happening, I can' t take much more and from a physical perspective am unable to function properly even for purposes of looking for a job

pls help

Depression is hard work and fatiguing, and complaints of fatigue / lack of energy are common in sufferers. Loss events, like retrenchment, often worsen symptoms. And insomnia is usually part of the picture, and of course adds to the tiredness. Also, depression is a powerful magnifier or amplifier of pain from whatever other cause. Obviously, you need assessment from at least a good GP, perhaps a psychiatrist, to confirm the dioagnosis and to prescribe effective treatment. This condition CAN be effectively treated,and you could be feeling a great deal better than this before long. Also ask about CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) a very effective form of brief counselling / therapy as well as medication

Posted by: Liza | 2009-04-24

Definitely go and see a doctor about your problems. If you can' t afford private, go to the mental health section at the government clinic. The government clinic helped me get healthy enough to look for a job after being functionally fired for uncontrolled bipolar. The help wasn' t perfect, but it was quite good. Different clinics will have different levels of service though - unfortunately not all can be as good as the one I went to. The medication they offer also sometimes have side-effects - without the option to change to something similar without the side-effects. But it is better than nothing!

Good Luck

Reply to Liza

why dont you go to your doctor? have a full medical and get a blood test..... hair falling out is pretty grim id go soon..