Posted by: Angie | 2010-05-30

depression and confusion

my dad has been very ill. He says he is very depressed. He has nightmares and night terrors. He is still bedridden and extremely weak. How can I help him through this difficult period?

Good response from allison. As he SAYS he is very depressed and reveals his nightmares, etc., he is, fortunately, not denying his illness or at least un wellness, and should be able to be persuaded to see a good psychiatrist for a comprehensive assessment and review of treatment options. Help him by offering to arrange this, ( and if he is bed-ridden, some GPs still do house calls, for a start ) Otherwise, spoil him a liottle, support and listen to him.

Posted by: alison | 2010-05-30

just be there for him. Spend a little time making him something nice to eat or chatting for a while. Ask him about what is troubling him, if he can open up talking/sharing it can ease the burden.
you could suggest a psuchologist or mild medication to help him through it. Give him lots of hugs. all the best!!

Reply to alison