Question
Posted by: Beetjie | 2011/06/01

Depression and Concentration

Dr. Cyber Shrink,

I have been diagnosed with depression and was prescribed Wellbutrin. The psychiatrist told me that it would take about three weeks to start working. But what do I do in the meantime? Three weeks seems so long. I dread going to work and am always in a foul mood when I get home.

I am also writing exams and my concentration is out the window. How can I focus and concentrate on my studies during this time?

With any efective antidepressant, it takes 2 to 3 weeks for it to show it's full benefits. This doesn't mean that you will feel NO change before then - you may well start feling a bit better. But the ADs work by producing quite complicated corrections to your brain chemistry, and this takes time. You could ask your doc about CBT counselling, which works well with Ad drugs, and can help you to regain a better sense of control of these unpleasant feelings, more rapidly

1