Question
Posted by: Jeanine | 2010-06-17

Depression and Anxiety

Hi there,
I need some advice on how to get my depression and anxiety sorted! Im pretty sure I suffer from it as I know all the systems, and experience most of them on a weekly basis.
It''s gotten worse in the last year, I don''t have suicidal thoughts, (I have in the past, about 6 years ago) but I suffer from heavy anxiety, and all the thoughts that are associated with depression. Should I see a GP first, or should I go to a psychologist first, or psychiatrist? Im not sure where to start and also cannot afford to spend money on three different doctors for one problem! Especially since I know what''s wrong. Can you refer me to someone (Im in the Durban centre area).
What would be the best first step to take?
Jeanine

OK, 3 different doc's shouldn't be required ! If you have a really good GP, he should be able to help ; though if you need financially to choose just one, your best option would probably be a Psychiatrist, able to assess you, to provide or refer you for psychotherapy if needed, and able to prescribe meds if needed. A psychologist should be as well able to make a proper diagnosis, but can't prescribe meds if this is considered useful.
For many excellent reasons, though, I can't refer anyone to specific doc's ( apart from anything else, it's impossible for me to keep track of who is where and whether they're any good ! )

2
Posted by: Tired | 2010-06-18

Hi Doctor,

I am writing in despiration for some advice.

I suffer from depression that has been in check for the last 5 or so years but recently things have been going down hill again.

I have been diagnosed with , Bipolar mood disorder, Major Depressive disorder, Borderline Personality, I cant even remember half of the others. Ive been on medication since 12 now 30 years old, so fact is it is very unlikely that things are gonna change. I need someone to help me sort out things.

My home doctor has been very helpfull but were not getting anywhere after he altered my meds and I feel uncomfertable going back to him for the upteenth time and just saying this stuff doesnt make me feel much better.

I have been on all sorts of medication and Cymbalta worked exceptionaly well for 5 years. Everthing prior I was lucky to be on it for a year before effectiveness started to decrease. Cymbalta was actualy a lucky shot after I read about it and told my doctor that they had almost 20 years to figure it out and now its my turn to try something.

Now were back to square one.
The new stuff they gave me has so many side effects that bother me(even though you ignore them in hope to just feel better mentaly) but I am not satisfied.

There are only 2 Psychaitrists in my area and both are not what I would call a caring environment for help, Nothing personal but both seem to be scared of medication and rather want to fight me into normality or submission (what ever comes first). I cant stand another session of fighting someone that is suppose to help me(fighting in the sense that this is all your fault and you need to keep a stiff upper lip deal with it). Just having to call on someone because your so weak you cant even stop crying is realy bad enough if your a man, how do you keep a stiff upper lip if you are unable to talk to anyone most days with out breaking into tears for absolutely no reason. The humiliation is enough thanks, I am not going down that road again. What should I do?

I want to go to my GP with an informed desicion on what medication to try next and give him answers on why I think so. But the only starting point that i have is what didnt work previously and the one medication that did.

What would be your sugestion?

Thanks.

Reply to Tired