Question
Posted by: Maria | 2012/10/24

Depression and alternative treatments

Hi CS,

Regarding your response to the question about Ritalin and Depression... I know that adult ADD is a somewhat controversial diagnosis, but do you think that people who are ADD are incorrectly diagnosed with depression sometimes and then incorrectly medicated?

I also recently read an interesting article on the use of ketamine to lift severe depression. From the article:
Ketamine rapidly spurs the growth of new synapses, the connections between brain cells, and is associated with “ reversal of the atrophy caused by chronic stress” . While the side effects mean that currently only the most desperate of cases will be treated with Ketamine, it raises hope for more effective ad''s in the future.

Because I''ve been looking for years for that magic combo of meds that will make me emotionally stable without being a zombie, all of this really interests me and I would like to know your views on it.

Scratches to kitty.

Usually, the degree of overlap between the typical symptoms of Depression and of ADD is small enough, that there's not a lot of room for misduagnosis between the two.
I'm sceptical about Ketamine itslf, as its usual effects can be so brain-addling. But already it appears that the effects of medium-term use of traditional antidepressants probably include actual changes in brain cell structure ( and that may be why there seems an inevitable delay before the drugs produce their full benefits, as this delay fits the turnover time of brain proteins and re-structuring.
MOre accurate and useful re-structuring is more important the speedy restructuring. Yes, chronic stress does casue atual damage to neuronal structures, but the evidence is not at all clear that this is in any way repaired by ketamine ( wasn't it originally used as a horse tranqullizer ? ).
I suppose part of what I'm saying is that the possibilities that article speculated about, are not unique to ketamine, and not in the future - the better understanding and refining of the processes current treatments already cause, are more important.
I wish more current research unpacked the various effects of drugs, so, for instance, that we could better understand the nature and origins of the Zombification effect, so as to better exclude it from the process.

1