Question
Posted by: Helpless | 2011-01-07

Depression &  Suicide

My husband suffers from bad depression, childhood related issues (too sensitive to mention) and had a suicide attempt/plans (he doesn''t want to tell me everything). Because of it all, he gained weight, is emosional unstable from time to time and is in a black hole he struggle to get out of. He has been to the psycologist and received medication BUT there is even a lack in motivation to drink the tablets. I don''t know what to do or what to say. I don''t sleep and worry every second of the day if we are apart. Pls help.

Tellhim how much you care about him, and carfe that he isn't yet receiving successful treatment. Either his present psychiatrist needs to be told that he is not taking the meds properly ( doctors sadly too often forget to check this, as non-compliance is a really serious problem ) or consider, in discussion with him, arranging for him to see a different psychiatrist for a review and re-assessment. And psychotherapy / counselling, especially of the CBT format, should be added, as treament entirely by tablets is not satisfactory.
As HB says, sometimes its best for someone to be an inpatient for some days to get stabilized on their meds and to start improvement, before returning hom to complete the improvement

2

Posted by: +Hells Bells | 2011-01-07

Best thing you can do is talk to your husband about going to either a private or state mental health facility, if you have medical aid you may be able to go to a private one either way if you can convince him to check himself in for a couple of weeks the doctors and nurses can help him and get him stabilized on medication to lift the depression.

Reply to +Hells Bells