Question
Posted by: Tracey | 2009/10/20

Depression &  Anxiety - No Meds

Hi Cyberdoc

I am suffering from depression and anxiety due to circumstances that are going to take a long time to resolve.
I am weaning off Cymbalta (and am already feeling the effects), but I am OK.

What I would like to ask you is (if you could name it?) there a natural product but it has to be stimulant free - I react very badly to stimulants to honestly helps with depression and anxiety.
I tried St. John' s Wort once but things were so bad then that I landed up on meds.

I guess you are thinking why is she not asking her GP. The reason is that a state psychiatrist initiated the Cymbalta and my GP suggests I stay on 30mg per day. I don' t want to do this (which he knows) but he is not a fan of products natural.

I just need to find something that really works and helps. Stimulant free.

The other thing is even though I am weaning off the Cymbalta (I have to open and split the contents of each capsule in 3' s at the moment what supplements can I take right now that definitely help with depression and anxiety? Nothing that would interfere or that is a stimulant.

Products that are proven in your own experience to work.

Tracey

Hi Tracey
The natural medications are not really strong enough to help in medium to severe depression, especially if it is caused by long term factors. The most commonly used one is St Johns Wort. Why are you scared to stay on Cymbalta? Are you afraid that you will become dependent on it? or do you have unpleasant side effects like loss of libido/insomnia?
For anxiety you can try Biral, but again, will only help for mild anxiety.
I personally am very pro natural medications but it is better to be well controlled on traditional medicine than being miserable and not able to cope on natural medication.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/10/20

Hi Tracey

Reply to cyberdoc