Question
Posted by: PMS | 2012-10-15

Depression

My dad passed away 2.5 months ago. He lived with us and we were so close. My mom, whom I was also very close to passed away 9 years ago. I am really battling to come to terms with my dad''s death. It was sudden, although he was not well, his death was sudden. I carry on, but inside I feel lost and empty. My husband is supportive, but I am trying to just carry on with life. I think i may be going into a depression. I am trying to pull myself together, but its so difficult. I really dont want to go on any anti depressant. I have been to a phycologist, but he did not help much.

As I so often need to point out here, Grief is really hard work. The death of anyone you love is hard to work through, maybe more so if unexpected or sudden. Grief takes 9 months or more at the best ; and can be complicated by many different factors, when grief counselling, by an experienced counsellor, can help. Yes, one can also develop an ordinary depression, but its hard to tell the difference between depression and normal grief in the first months especially. Antidepressants don't help grief, but counselling helps both. If he was unable to help, then maybe you saw the wrong type of psychologist, or maybe you were a bit impatient in the sort of results you were expecting. In the earliest stages of grief, major results are not likely in a month or two

1