Question
Posted by: miekie | 2012-09-14

Depression

Hello
My father, 77 old widower, currently very sick and in ICU had a heart valve op, is very anxious and depressed. Refuse violently any psycotherapy etc., is very angry and verbal abusive to me and doctors. He wants to be discharged to die in peace at his home. What can I do? I feel so helpless.

He must be seen and assessed by a competent psychiatrist, which the hospital ought to have on hand. He may well be feeling depressed and hopeless, and maybe confused and disinhibited by the procedures ( which can cause a reduction in oxygen to the brain for a time ) or disturbed blood chemistry or side-effects of drugs hes receiving for his physical needs. Psychotherapy isn't what is needed right now, but more of a chat with a sympathetic and pleasant person, who can check all possible physical factors affecting his mental state, and encourage him to feel more hopeful and more cooperative

2
Posted by: ema | 2012-09-14

Hi Miekie,
sorry to hear about your Father, just be there for him, listen to him talk to him. Allow him to get his frustrations out about how he is feeling, he is not doing it on purpose, when my Dad fell ill he was the same he hated the world and everything and everybody in it, i would just sit next to him and let him say whatever he wanted to, let him know you are there for him and you understand what he is going through and that he will get better. Be strong,

Reply to ema