Question
Posted by: Monica | 2012/02/28

Depression

Is there any way of treating depression without meds? I have not been diagnosed with depression, yet display some of the symptons ie. weight loss, insomnia, crying, irritability, feelings of worthlessness. Do I maybe just need to get a grip on life? My boyfriend and I have recently broken up and it''s tearing me apart. There is no chance of a reconciliation, so I have to sort myself out sooner rather than later. Thanks Doc!

Yes. A form of counselling / psychotherapy, called Cognitive-behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) has been found in some pretty good research, to be about as effective as medications in treating most depressions, and with lasting benefits. In a sense, part of what it does is to help one "get a grip" on life, to change negative habits of thought and behaviour, and control some of those symptoms.
And what you seem to be describing, as it seems to be part of a reaction to a saddening recent break-up and hence loss, may not be Depression as such, but the sort of depressive reaction which would respond especially well to CBT, and will probably not last for long.

2
Posted by: MOTION | 2012/02/28

i was in the same situation and I went for therapy. Im doing well now. All of the best

Reply to MOTION