Question
Posted by: Anonomous | 2012/02/22

Depression

Good day

I am just writing in to ask a general question on depression/levels of unhappiness. I have been diagnosed with depression a few years ago. I wrote in a few times before but just feel so hopeless today. I am 32 and want to know if i could just be generally unhappy or depressed. I was bullied when i was a child, at school and a bit at home, i in turn bullied my sister. I was then raped at the age of 15 by a man i knew who was 25 at the time. Yet, even before the rape throughout my childhood i remember being unhappy, lonely and sad. I never remember having much friends and the ones i did have i bullied as well, especially my sister and younger cousins. I am married now, i have no children, feel stuck in a job and in a life/marriage i feel is not my own. I am unhappy in my marriage and often find myself involved in many flirtations and online encounters that distract me from these feelings. I have seen several therapists over the years and even my current one doesnt seem to " get me"  if i can put it that way. Sometimes i wonder if my journey is merely spiritual. Anyway, i just really wanted your professional opinion or thoughts on this. thanks

As you know from experience, our general mood vaies from day to day, hour to hour. ANd of course one may be unhappy rather than, or as well as, depressed.
You raise some very interesting points, though. Indeed, it sounds as though some of your issues are spiritual / existential, and a good and skilled psychotherapist ought to be able to help you with that, though I know that some are so down-to-earth they never seem to have had such doubts or thoughts themselves. Being unhappy, seeing the negative aspect of things, expecting the worst, and other such reactions to the variations of life, can become uncomfortable bad habits, and thats why I favour Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, CBT, as a proven way to change negative habits of thought and feeling, towards more fruitful and positive interpretations of and responses to, events.
Sometimes part of what one needs, too, is an area of activity - maybe at work, or maybe in social, charitable and similar terms, or even hobbies, which one finds absorbing and satisfying

1