Question
Posted by: Hopelss | 2011/09/05

Depression

I have been suffering from a depression/intense anxiety for just over a year now. During this period I have been in mental clinics 3 times, did extensive CBT with a qualified clinical psychologist, tried 3 different Anti-depressants, anti-psychotics and even mood stabilizers, I excercise and live healthy and abstain from alcohol but still I feel like I have made very little progress if any. I feel like a shadow of my former self and don''t have the energy or inspiration to excel and engage in the things that formerly excited me. My family life, social life and career has suffered tremendously because of this wretched ilness and to get through each day is a major achievent for me. Where do you go when you have tried all available resources and still haven''t achieved much success?

I do understand how frustrating this has been for you, but please don't give up hope. Many people are lucky that their depression ( each of us has a unique chemical nature to out brain and our depression ) has happened to respond well to the first or even second drug or treatment tried. Some of us, unfortunately, need to keep trying longer, but there are many other treatments untried as yet, and new approaches gradually becoming available. Some antidepressants (ADs) need to be started more gradually than others, and all need to be tried at a proper dose for at least 2 to 3 weeks before one can properly assess whether they are going to be useful. Sometimes a different combination will be more successful. There are adjuvant, supplementary meds that can be aded in situations where a depression is being unduly stubborn and reacting disappointingly to meds. From what you say, I asume you're being treated by a specialist psychiatrist ( a complex problem should not remain solely in the hands of a GP ) and you need to discuss your disappointment and concerns directly and frankly with your psychiatrist, so he/she can outline what alternatives there are, and what long-term plan he/she has in working with you. This CAN come right

1