Question
Posted by: End of the line | 2010-11-08

Depression

Please advise what medication I can use for depresion. Husband has moved out the house and is threatening divorce. I find myslef absolutley lost. Over thelast two months i have found that instead of getting stronger I am getting worse. I battle to function and find that i spend most of my time crying feeling worthless and abandoned. I feel as if I am functioning on automatic and cant remeber doign anything.I dont go out and come up with all sorts of excuses to stay at home. I dont pay attention to anything and forget everything. Everything seems to be too much effort to do.
I have been told that I am suffering from depression and need to use anti depressive. Please avise which medication I can use that will have minimum side affects.

I'm sure you deserve help and support. Medication may not be the answer - AD's help to treat a real chemical depression, but they can't make you feel good about very unhappy and hurtful events in your life, and it would actually be unhelpful if they could. They treat depression, not unhappiness.
What you need is to see at least a GP, and preferably a good local psychiatrist, for a proper assessment of what's wrong and to discuss your options as to how to deal with it.
If an AD is considered possibly useful, there are a great many to choose from, and the alternatives should be discussed with you by the person who made a proper diagnosis of depression ( rather than unhappiness ) And ask to be referred to a good local psychologist or counsellor.
You will be able to get through this, however much right now that may feel unlikely, and you can end up stronger and happier for doing so with the appropriate help

1