Question
Posted by: Janine | 2010/09/20

Depression

I am a single mom, divorced for 10 years, and I am extremely lonely. I know the difference between being alone, which I am ok with, but its the loneliness that eats at me. At least once a week I get so depressed that I increase my intake of Cilift, and if I dont take it in enough time, I have thoughts of suicide.
I am attractive, slightly overweight, happy-go-lucky, but then there is a dark side to me, where I drink so that I can sleep, to forget my loneliness, but that doesnt help because then I become more depressed, and cry alot. I dont have any friends, my daughter now lives with her father, I have a good job, but do not socialise with anyone at the workplace. On the outside, I am seen as having a social life, but I dont. I so want to get into a relationship with a man, but I am scared to be hurt again. I have alot of love to give. Please help.

Medication can be helpful in Depression but rarely does he whole necessary job. Isn't it possible for you to se a CBT-style counsellor, to work on your depressive habits of thought ? And can't you work towards becoming less isolated, making friends and acquaintances - in clubs, hobbies, social and charitable groups ? Maria's comments on volunteering and otherwise becoming socially active echo mine.
Start by working on friendships and social activities, before plunging into relationships

2
Posted by: Maria | 2010/09/20

You need to connect with other people. Think friendship first, relationship later. Can I suggest that you look into doing volunteer work? There is a wide variety of place to volunteer at like children''s homes, libraries, old age homes, nature reserves etc. The beauty of volunteering is that it alleviates your depression by making you feel worthwhile, and brings you into contact with new people. You could also take a course to learn a new skill like a language, pottery, first aid etc. You will learn something new, meet new people and have something new to talk about. Good luck.

Reply to Maria