Question
Posted by: Kat | 2010-07-06

Depression

Hallo, I''''m terrified of myself. I''''m the best mother I know I have a son of 6 and a daughter of 2 I am OVER protected of them and love them dearly. These last couple of months I''''ve had alot of stres a new boss who demands alot of me, working conditions that changed (I was very happy in my job before the new boss) My husband started a new business a year ago demanding more of my time with the children and him coming home after 20:00 in the evenings. I give my all to my children and no time for myself. I hate being alone and get panic attacks all of the time. This last week it is as if something snapped in me and I am terrified of hurting my children. I get a panic attack when I see a knife, water anything that I could possibly hurt them with. I will die if I loose them as they are my life but what is wrong with me?? I had the same kind of thoughts after my first child also scared of hurting him but it feels worse this time. I went to the doctor and he gave me Talomil for depression and Azor for the anxiety. Should I give the meds time to work? Will I be my old self again?

Sounds like you may have developed an anxiety disorder of some type, or maybe you're just over-stressed by a range of new and difficult demands. What doctor did you see ? A GP can manage many simple and basic psych conditions, but with the previous history, if this particular treatment plan isn't working well within a couple of weeks, or if the symptoms get worse in the meantime, do see a specialist psychiatrist for a fuller assessment and a discussion of your treatment options.

1