Question
Posted by: Q | 2010-05-24

DEPRESSION?

Dear Cyber shrink

I am writing to you because I realy do not know sometimes how to cope anymore. I do not want to jump to the conclusion that I am suffering from depression, because in my opinion it is a word that is too often used - feels like everbody around me have it. I have been through a divorse end 2006, fell unexpectedly pregnant end 2007, got married and had a baby in 2008, diagnosed with breast cancer end 2009 a mastectomy and reconstruction in 2010. Sometimes it feels I''m on a rollercoaster that do not want to stop. My symptoms are as follow:
1) Picked up a lot of weight since January
2) Feel often like crying about the smallest thing
3) Often excesively impatient with my kids and shout at them
4) Feel (wont admit to anybody) like I just want to be dead
5) Not motivated to do my job - used to be a driven person
6) Feel like a holiday all the time
7) Drinking often
Your opnion will be valued.

Indeed, the word may be too commonly and easily used - but it is also too rarely and reluctantly used by people who actually are depressed. YOu have endured a great deal of unpleasant stressful events, and the symptoms you describe are typical of Depression. And the drinking can make depression worse, even if it feels differently to you at the time. DO see someone for assessment and help - preferably a psychiatrist locally, or at least a really good GP. They can help to assess this possibly, and discuss your treatment options, which should include considering medication and CBT-style couselling.

1