Question
Posted by: Gretel | 2010/05/15

depression

I am 46 year old with mild to severe depression since forever.
I am on Cilift for about 6yrs on and off but for the last 2 yrs permanently. I am severely depressed in the last few weeks. This is the meds I take: Cilift 10mg 1 per day, Eltroxin 0.1mg 1 per day, Premarin .3mg 3 times per week, then I drink EPO everyday and also Dolomite. It feels like the Cilift doesn''t work anymore and I can''t increase the dosage as it makes me feel weird. Also gives me a headache. I suffer from headaches constantly and for that I take stillpayne. I drink at least 2 stillpaynes every day. I feel like I could just go to sleep and hope to never wake up again. We have our own business and it isn''t going so good these days (hardtimes for everyone) that makes me more depressed and though I am a Christian and believe that God will get us through it all my depression is getting the better of me. I hardly sleep at night, last night I took half a sleeping pill and even with that i woke up at 4am. Today I''ve got the " baddest"  headache of all times, already took 4 stillpaynes since 6am.I am moody more-so than ever and just want to die.... Please can you suggest another antidepressant i can try so i can discuss this with my GP as she just says to increase the dosage of cilift to 20mg. Please help!

I'm a bit puzled i you have chronic depression, why you're taking only 10 mg a day of Cilift as the more usual dose would be 20 mg, and it can go higher, too. Often when one first goes up to the usual dose like 20, one may feel a bit odd for a few days, maybe a muzzy feeling in the head, maybe a little nauseous, but this uually settles down if one persists, and is usually not a serious problem for long.
Sounds like it migh be a good idea to get a second opinion and a re-assessment of your collected problems, and a re-consideration from a fresh shrink, of the treatment that might best help. If all this treatment has been purely from your GP< I strongly recommend that you see a specialist psychiatrist for this - though GPs can manage fine with ordinary depressions, where the situation gets chronic or complicated or is not responding to basic treatments, it is always best to see a psychiatrist for a thorough re-assessment of the situation and advice on the best treatment.
Early morning wakening is typical of depression, and usually improves as the depression improves.

3
Posted by: Thanks | 2010/05/16

Who is treating you for depression and anxiety? If its a GP that is NOT the right doctor to treat you. GP''s are trained to treat physical problems NOT mental. DONT stop your meds thats not what I''m saying thats between you and your Doctor but please go see a trained professional to help you. I found cognitive behaviour therapy to be a great help, I wish I went sooner. See my post above about anxiety.

Reply to Thanks

Posted by: gretel | 2010/05/15

I also want to add that I am very self conscious. I am rather shy and in the last few weeks I feel inferior to others like even with children I feel they think " what a stupid woman"  silly I know but I feel like I cannot speak to clients the way I used to (in our business a computer gaming shop). I forget things easily as well. I read about Zoloft on this site maybe this will help me?

Reply to gretel