Question
Posted by: Jakkie | 2010/03/10

Depression

My doctor put me on Venlor 150mg x twice daily. I would like to know if this is a good medicine and what is the side affects. Will I put on weight etc. I have been on nearly 10 other anti depressants before this one. I must say, I had headache in the beginning but I am feeling much better. I am not as emotional as before and it really feels if this one is working. But the price is shocking. It is going to cost me over a R1000 per month.

Why does it seem that everybody is suddenly on Venlor ( there's no overwhelming reason to prescribe this rather than any other antidepressant - how are the Venlor reps encouraging these docs ? )
And your doctor should not prescribe ANY medicine for you without carefully discussing with you exactly what you are asking about - side-effects, etc. It is negligent not to do so, AND to check that the person has heard and understood the explanation.
There are other antidepressants just as effective which in generic form especially, could be significantl cheaper. And again, docs should check your financial state amd take it into account when selecting a medicine, rather than plunging straight for a very expensive one. It can have quite a number of side-effects, certainly no less than alternatives, and more than some.
Now, when you say you have been on 10 different antidepressants before this, I find that very alarming. This is never ( or VERY seldom ) necessary, and suggests that you or your doc have been giving up too soon before at least some of these have had a proper chance to work - all ADs work in around 70 % of people who take them, so indeed one sometimes is better suited by the second one tried, rarely a third - never 10.
And if the first level of treatment is no working, a person should be referred to see a specialist psychiatrist for careful expert asse4ssment and a discussion of treatment options. Again, I would not approve of a GP sticking with someone through 10 different drugs without so referring the patient.
I would strongly suggest you ask for referral to a good local psychiatrist for a second opinion after so many false starts as you describe.

1