Question
Posted by: Mommy again | 2009/11/07

Depression?

I gave birth to my son just over 2 weeks ago. Everything is going well and I am grateful for my healthy child as we lost a child just over a year ago. I love my baby dearly and love looking after him. I do have periods where I feel very sad though and upset. I am mainly upset with my husband. He smokes and promised to give up when this baby was born - he said he wasn' t addicted but hasn' t been able to give up at all. I told him that this is driving a wedge between us - and he says he' ll stop - but I don' t think he ever will.
He has other health conditions and smoking does not help him. He says he knows it' s wrong but he enjoys it. I feel so miserable about this and angry. He promised to stop and he said before that he would because he wanted to make this baby experience a good one for me. Sometimes I feel okay and the next I feel so sad......and end up crying on my own....he doesn' t know. At the moment i feel like taking the kids and leaving - I just can' t do this anymore. Do you think that I am feeling this way due to postnatal depression...or is this unrelated? Please help - things have to change soon because I just can' t anymore.

You could have postnatal depression and I would suggest that you see a psychologist.
Remember that it is difficult to give up smoking and , though many smokers have good intentions, they are addicted and need help to give up the habit.

1