Question
Posted by: Reese | 2009-10-22

Depression?

Hello there...

I have always been a little bit of a perfectionist and sometimes taken life too seriously, but I have always been happy and smiley!

I am second year at varsity at the moment. This is very weird but I am very happy with myself and my life, my parents, my studies etc. But since about May this year I have been quite low - crying and feeling very lonely. I think its gotten worse though.

These last few days I cant stop crying. I have been under a lot of stress too lately - with finances, lost my best friend and broke up with my boyfriend (whose got a new girlfriend now). Ive also had terrible luck with guys lately (where I never had a problem!) - everything in my life is just falling apart - I feel lonely and cant stop crying.

Do i have depression? What can I do to improve my situation? I cant cope anymore...

Depression happens to the best of us ( and not often enough to the wost of us ! ) - sometimes there are obvious external causes apparent within our lives, often it arises for chemical reasons and with no apparent explanation.
It would be best to see a good local shrink mor at least a good GP ( maybe there's someone in student health ? ) for an assessment. This could all be a reaction to the various strsses and losses min your life recently, and could respond well to basic counselling. If it is indeed Depression, then counselling of the CBT format could also relieve it, as could the careful use of some antidepressant medications. You can, with the right help, recover your coping skills.

3
Posted by: ABC | 2009-10-22

Reese, stressful periods are only temporary.
Always remember that.
That helps when you' re trying to work through the bad times: this too shall pass.
You will find another BF, and maybe another best friend (ir hopefully you can work things out and not lose them completely for very long).
Take control.
Wriet each problem down in point form and then think about new and creative ways to improve the situation for each item.
1) It focusses your mind on something constructive and POSITIVE
2) you improve your problem-solving skills, and you can maybe even come up with ridiculous ideas and just have a laugh
3) the solutions you come up with might actually work and if they don' t, think of other solutions

You will be fine. Smile just for knowing that!

Reply to ABC
Posted by: ABC | 2009-10-22

Always remember that.
Take control.

Reply to ABC