Question
Posted by: cr | 2009/10/17

depression

Over the years I have been posting questions to CyberShrink for help. Now I want to find help through medicine, because it is the only way out of depression left for me. My medical aid does not cover psychotherapy. I don' t feel comfortable speaking with a whole support group of people.

Is there any free help available out there for me?

I;m trying to understand what you are wanting right now. I believe that the research eidence, and my own experience, shows that there are two ways to significantly help a Depression, CBT therapy / counselling ( and as the SADAG group and perhaps FAMSA shows, some shrinks might offer a reduced rate for people who can't afford the full rate, and it could be available through the Dept of Psychiatry or Psychologiy of your nearest medical school ) ; and antidepressant medication, which, if the diagnosis is right, can be provided by a GP or state hospital or clinic. Fortunately, almost all of us respond well to the older and cheaper antidepressants, mostly available as generics, as to the latest and most expensive ones.
And also explore the possibility that a support group could be helpful to you. If properly run, they would not expect you to bare your soul to the group, and would be happy for you to attend and listen to others, feeling free to speak as and when you want to.

1