Posted by: Lou | 2009-04-06

Good morning,

I think i have suffered from mild depression my entire adult life. I have never been on anti depressants, and managed it myself with help now and then from vitamin supplements, pms boosters etc.

I feel myself sinking back into a depression again now, and I just dont feel like I have the energy to pull myself out of it on my own. In desperation yesterday, I went to the pharmacy and bought St Johns Wart (Natura). Is this enough to help, or is there something else I can take to supplement? I dont want to go onto chemical meds if I can help it.
I am not a big drinker, but find that if I have a glass of red wine, the next day I feel bleak and depressed - is this in my mind? Is it possible that wine in this amount can compound depression?

Many thanks for your help

Dear Lou
test yourself at
If you test at a mild depression the St Johns Wort may be enough. Also try to exercise 30 mins per day and take a good multivitamin. Alcohol may lower serotonin and norepinephrine levels and aggravate depression.