Posted by: Sad sack | 2009-03-03

I' m in therapy at the moment and will start Cipralex 10mg tomorrow. When I started therapy a month ago my psychologist said I' m severely depressed but I didn' t think so, I knew I was depressed but not severely so. Today I' ve done a few quizzes on the net, because I just cannot stop crying, and I was shocked to see the results - I' m way over the top. I didn' t even realize how often I think of suicide and methods of doing it so that it looks like an accident, but it' s quite regularly.

I have so much pain in me, not physical but that' s starting as well. It' s a pain in my heart, perhaps even my soul and I don' t want to live anymore.

I' m scared of myself, I' m scared that I might do something reckless, I have children, I don' t want to scar them too. Please help me, advice, a kind word, anything I am so desperately unhappy.

Sometimes it's hard to asses how severe a depression is --- even for the person with it ; depression often numbs one's feelings, such that one doesn't realize how severe it is. So your psychologist may be right. Its valuable that you have now realized the extent of this problem. The good news is that it responds very well to proper treatment. I'd hope that the psychologist will use a version of Cognitive-behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) to help, and the Cipralex is one of many alternative antidepressants (ADs) which helps many people very much indeed. You mention your children, who will really appreciate it when Mom returns to normal over the coming weels. You don't mention a husband or friends --- make sure they know how you are feeling, and allow them to support you and encourage you to persevere with the treatments, until you are well again. You need that and you deserve it.

Posted by: Sad sack | 2009-03-04

Thank you very much for all your advice and kind words. I do feel better already. THanks so much.

Reply to Sad sack
Posted by: Sorry | 2009-03-04

Oh I am so sorry to hear about yoiur predicament. Oh those mind demons, just going round and round in your head like an endless tape. I' m not speaking from experience, only what I have picked up during the course of life, but you simply HAVE to force yourself to just get that ugly depressive tape out your head. I agree, please count all your blessings that you can be grateful for, even the smallest things. Only look for things that make you happy and concentrate on that, even if its for an hour at a time. Concentrate ONLY on you kids, devote any spare time to them. Talk to yourself in the mirror, I know it sounds crazy, but it works. Look yourself in the eyes and tell yourself , out loud that you are a sweet ,loving ,caring person and Gods'  special child. He will not let you down. Remember the Lord will never send you anything that you cannot handle. It may be difficult and seem like a mountain to climb, but you CAN do it ! Lastly, if there is ANYTHING in your past that has led to this, that you may not have confronted and dealt with, please make every effort to do so. Hidden and unresolved issues, abuse, a death, anything like that ,has to be resolved, this is so important. Good luck, if I could, I would give you a hug and a squeeze and tell you what a special person you are !

Reply to Sorry
Posted by: Humpth | 2009-03-03

Best thing to do is talk about it , with someone you trust. have a good cry then reaffirm all the amazing blessings you have in your life!

stay away from alcohol or any recreational drugs because they will make it worse, although they could make you hit rock bottom from where the only way to go is up - its a divided issue.

i hope you get better soon!

Reply to Humpth
Posted by: happy | 2009-03-03

Yep I agree with CD about having friends and family around you.
Also try and visualise what would you do if you were not feeling like this.For example travelling or horse riding or anything which you believe could be fun to do. I' ve just discovered that we can heal ourselves by just thinking good thoughts. When I' m down I visualise myself in a big flower garden and I feel better immidiately

Reply to happy