Posted by: Girly | 2009-01-22

I went to the doctor yesterday as I know I am struggling with stress related depression.
His advice is to treat with antidepression medication to help me out of this slump, for about 6 months.
My husband believes that this medicine will alter who I am and that I might become addicted to it.
He says I must just exercise, its the best way. But how can one exercise when feeling so depressed with no ambition to even get up in the morning. He doesnt understand that I need something to help me to a point where I can get exercising again (I used to be a gym finatic) but I cant do it on my own.
Obviously I do not want to have to take medicine to ensure I feel ' okay'  and once I start feeling better, I know there are certain lifestyle and career moves I would need to make, but feel I first need a push in the right direction. How can I start a new job feeling like this? Are there any alternatives to antidepressants as I cant just do nothing like my husband wants, but this is causing a huge split in our relationship because I need him to support what I do.

Dear Girly
It is a misconception that antidepressant medication is addictive. It will also not alter your personality. Sometimes one just needs this little bit of help, but you should use this for at least 5-6 months to be effective. Do this test : - It will give you an idea of how bad the depression is. If it is moderate to severe, you need medication. Exercise will help for mild depression.