Posted by: Sam | 2009-01-19

Hi Doc,
I think that I am suffering from depression, and am not sure how to handle it. I had surgery in December, and spent five days in hospital for an infected gall bladder. (I had never spent any time in hospital before that) Since then, my personality seems to have changed. I am constantly tired, and have no appetite, food that used to taste nice, no longer tastes good to me, I forget to eat most days. I am completely demotivated and have no energy. My short term memory is non existant, which is not good for work. I do not want to get up in the morning and hate my very stressful job. There is no reason for me to feel this way, I have a loving husband, awesome friends and a comfortable life style. Are these symptoms of depression, this is totally not me! I want to change how I am feeling, but dont seem to have the energy to do it. Please help, what should I do?

Hard to tell, Of course this could be Depression, but one would also need to take into account the recent surgery and anaesthetic, which can also knock the stuffing out of you ( and it did to me, each time I had an op ). Best to see a good local psychiatrist for a caeful assessment, weighting the alternatives, and a discussion of the best options for treating this unpleasant situation