Question
Posted by: Emma | 2008/08/16

Depression

Dear Doc,

In a previous posting to me you said that I may be depressed. I do believe that you are right about that. As I work full time it is difficult to go to a hospital for an assestment. In the meantime, is there a way that I can get over this depression without therapy and without meds? (because of the costs involved).

I find that I feel most " down"  in the mornings and the evenings. At work my mood lifts a little. I also know that I should excercise, but I totally lack motivation to do so.

I guess my question is: can I make myself feel better without outside help and if so how do I go about it? Mind over matter is not work for me right now!

Thank you for your time.

As Kay says --- is there no Medical Aid or similar at work ? If there is, use it. If not, asessment would be available at major public hospitals and medical school depts of psychiatry, but usually at a considerable time cost. A GP can help and is usually able to make such a diagnosis, and can provide meds --- be sure to let him know of financial constraints so he can select effective meds in the generic range ( which are equivalent to the more expensive drugs, but for price ). Elsewhere in H24, if you search carefully, there will be articles abour Depression and maybe even some self-assessments to help you clarify the diagnosis foor yourself. Nothing over-the-counter helps depression with the exception of St John's Wort, a herbal product similar in some ways to Prozac and similar meds, which can be effective in mild depressions.
Also check out availability of self-help books, especially of the CBT format ( I have seen some rather good ones ) which you can use to start working on this yourself

2
Posted by: Emma | 2008/08/18

Hi Kay,

Thanks for advice. I do have medical aid, but I am in the self payment gap right now. Have no friends to walk with. Everybody is just too busy with their lives. I think I will try the nutritional route for now. I really am not keen on medication. GP has tried 3 types of ads with me, but side effects are worse than depression in my opinion!

Reply to Emma
Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2008/08/16

Hi Emma
You don' t have to go to a hospital to be assessed. If you work fullltime, is there no medical scheme there? Can you see a doctor anywhere? I' m sorry I don' t know much about alternative remedies - I take anti-depressants but I have medical aid. Can you find a friend to drag you out " brisk walking" ? (I am very lucky to have such a friend!). It DOES help. As does nutritious food. Omega 3 and 6 seem to have got some popularity for depression- I don' t know if this is true. But I' m sure CS can help. Good luck! I' ve been there...

Reply to Kay in Gtown