Question
Posted by: sssnoopy | 2010/09/26

Depressed streessed

My parnet for many years suffred from a so callled diagnosed depressive disorder, however despite all meds he seem to get to a point of coping before going back into the I donot know what to do, feeling self helpless, having no inclinationof doing anything and just being overwhelmed.
On the other side he stresses and blows a fuse very easily.

He cannot see a bright to anything and everything.
Ther maybe a small issue that he will manifest into a huge mountain, and then be unable to cope.
His family have had enough and no syphaties are left,
I have nbeen in his life for 6 months and seen perhaps an over loving and caring person, that cannot take let alone accept any rejection fso far as anything is concerned. He scared to ask for anything etc
He gives easily but finds it difficult to accept in return.
He has 4 children 3 grandchildren and a great grans son
Ther are family issues with a child in SA but the other abroad are all doing well.

He is now in a state of a full breakdown and even feels he may need to be hospitized.
He was on CymGen 60 which he stopped cold turkey a while back and seemed to be coping however stress levels increased and went onto Azlam 1g.Which helped on the stress side.
Because of his pessimisitc view and also had the past 2 months of stress and I would agree too much for a normal personto handle let alone with one with a problem

He has Non Hodgikins Lymphoma and decided not to do the last two Chemo maintenance sessions. to add to that he is diabetic and has high blood pressure.Strangely though with all this dram the latter two seem to be under control

Speaking to his family these states have happend basically yearly and worse sinc ehis 2nd wife died of cancer in 2003.
GHis financila position is not great and he he moved in with me some 3 months ago and feels he regrets that because I shouldnot be burdened with his problems
He is a good mn and the world could do with more of the goodeness he does and I will stand by him
Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree, but could it be possible for him have a bi polar disorder. I question this as no medication for the last 20 years has really worked
or maybe it is just his personality and that can never be changed .
We need help and need some guidence where to go to from here.He is on a Medical Aid .

You reply will be greatly appreciated

Depressed ? ssso I Sssee
I wonder what "socalled diagnosed" means ? If a properly trained doc assessed him properly and used internationall accepted criteria to make the diagnosis, that should be credible.
But what you seem to be decribing matches my concern about the foolisness of trying to handle all depressions with nothing but drugs. They have their place in treatment, but counselling such as CBT to help the person get out of their bad habits of negative thinking and to learn to better handle the problems in their lives, is surely also needed. Pessimism can be a really tough, bad habit, which one can learn to change.
The other issue that troubles me here, is that one too easily forghets that suicide can be committed by neglecting one's serious medical problems - like stopping treatment for his lymphoma, and not treating the hypertension and diabetes properly.
Bipolar disorder doesn't sound likely, and whichever doc is treating him should surely have considered that posibility. The BI part of Pipolar involves also the opposite of depression, with episodes of a mood that is too good, too much energy and optimism.
I don't know who he is seeing or has been seeing, but maybe a fresh opinion from a good local psychiatrist to reconsider diagnosis and treatment, would be worthwhile ?

2
Posted by: Chantal | 2011/02/03

Wil Invitro laat doen,is tans op Lilly Fluoxitine 20mg,baie newe effekte en libido is weg,dokter het my Cymgen 60mg voorgestel,is dit veilig vir Invitro later in die jaar.

Reply to Chantal

Depressed ? ssso I Sssee