Question
Posted by: Do I need to see someone for help? | 2008/06/26

Depressed or full of it?

Hello. I am a 33 yr old female, with one son and married for 12 years. Of late I am battling to find anything worthwhile to get up in the mornings for. I feel that my husband is no longer my friend and at this stage I talk more to my parrot than to anyone else I know. I have no libido whatsoever, in fact, I would much rather sleep than have anything to do with sex. I can't seem to control my moods. One minute I'm over the moon for no reason and the next I could spit snakes. I don't want to go out anywhere if I really don't have to. I battle to concentrate on the mundane like even watching TV. I seem to be afraid of silly things. Like a tyre blow out on the highway - I'm bordering on obsesive compulsive about checking my tyres everytime I get into the car! I have a thing about germs also I don't open anything at work without a tissue. I don't feel like going to work and I don't feel like going home either! My life is very blessed besides the stress of my husband owning his own business which certainly does put more pressure on us financially. In general I shouldn't have anything to be unhappy about. Also, sometimes feel I'm being watched - especially in the shower which is ridiculous. Please help - do you think I need to see someone for therapy. Also, just to mention my husband does not believe in mental illness nor depression - he suggests it is only for people with no backbone.

Sounds mighty like Depression. Best to see a shrink or at least a good GP for an assessment and advice. And depression can easily have both obsessive and paranoid features, depending on our basic personality trends.
Sad that your husband is one of the foolish ones who "doesn't believe in mental illness", because mental illness believes in him, One day he is likely to get his share of it, and will find it hard to face the fact, or to figure out who else to blame,, and will find it far harder to seek help when he needs it.
Obviously you have loads of backbone, so take the initiative to see someone and take care of yourself --- it shouldn't be up to him to decide what you need.

1
Posted by: Depressed or full of it | 2008/06/27

Thank you kindly Cyber Shrink. I appreciate your response. I will make an appointment to see my GP - I trust her to help me make the right decision. Thank you again and have a good day :)

Reply to Depressed or full of it