Posted by: Ruby | 2009-06-18

Depressed Husband

HI Cybershrink
my husband has got depression I dont know the grade of his illness, he is using Cylift but he has been using alcohol ocasionaly whilst on it and I dont think it is good for him. This week he is just not himself, he is tired yet cannot sleep, he talks all the time about his abusive childhood, then he talks about wanting to change his life. He is like another person now I dont know him. his posture, laugh the look on his face is not right. It could be from not being able to sleep well. He has got a mad look in his eye. Could it be that the medication is not working for him anymore. Do you suggest he must see a Psychaitrist. Do you think they will be able to give him medication to help him get better? this is really getting to me as well I hate seeing him this way. The meds never really worked well but he was better then he is now.I am very scared, i dont know how to handle this. I feel incredible helpless and week. I really want him to get well but i dont know what to do. He just found a job afer being unemployed for a month maybe that is the reason why he feels the way he does, he is nt depressed like always this time it is different. when i look in his eyes a stranger stares back at me. My mom has schizophrenia and Bipolor disorder and i had to grow up with that and that made me somewhat impatient, but i am working hard at being pateint. I got him some calmeds nite to help him sleep but it does not seem to help can we get a sedative at the Pharmacist.
please help me and tell me if he is going to go crazy or do you think a shrink might be able to help.

many thanks

He should indeed be cautious about taking alcohol while on any antidepressant, as not only is alcohol a depressing drug in itself, but it can interfere with the actions of the antidepressants. And good treatment of depression, is not only by medication but also by psychotherapy, especially of the CBT form. He should indeed see a psychiatrist, as should anyone whose depression is no responding well to first-line treatment by the GP, and should ask about psychotherapy / CBT in addition to medication.
Talk pleasantly to him, about how much you care for him, and worry that his depression hasn't fully lifted yet, and ask that he arrange to see a psychiatrist for a second opinion and advice on better treatment. He is not going to go crazy, but sounds far from well a present. A sedative may be less useful than better treatment of the depression, which will gradually put the sleeping, etc., right.