Question
Posted by: Teresa | 2008/08/27

Depressed dog

My dog was 11 years old and became quite depressed. I didn'  t know what to do to lift his spirits. Anyway, a month ago I left some rattex out because we had a rat problem at our house and the dog " accidentally"  ate it and died. Do you think the dog committed suicide? Is it possible for a dog to have this type of emotion? Have you come across it before in your practice?

Dear Teresa

He may have faked his death and is living on an remote island at your expense. Be sure as to check your bank statements. All the dogs I have councelled with suicide tendancies have not committed suicide to date. Yours is a first (if not living on that island)

2
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/27

Very sad, but how in the world was the dog supposed to know the rattex was toxic?

A rather severe case of anthropomorphism, I think.

Please, if you have to kill rats, try to use Racumen - it' s less toxic to pets AND to wildlife that might eat the dead rodents. But keep it out of the way, as Mandi said!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Mandi | 2008/08/27

if you read the box it clearly states that Rattex is a poison and should be placed out of reach of animals and children.
He obviously thought he was eating something nice.
What if a child had gotten hold of it and thought it was sweets?

Reply to Mandi