Question
Posted by: Jo-Ann | 2011/08/03

Depressed child?

i am going through a divorce and my two children aren''t taking it very well, the smallest show emotion and scream / say at you what she feels. But now i have a problem with my eldest, a son (mid seens) who doesn''t want to talk to me about how he feels but write negative / dark / depressional things on his facebook wall. I am really worried about him as he is usually my happy face kid going through live without any major issues. He sides with his dad (wich is fine by me) but I don''t know if dad is inderectly influencing / moaning about me, and if that is why he is so much more negative that his sister. Should I take him to a psycologist, if I can convince him to go, or should I leave him to sort it out himself untill he speak to me? I desperately need help!

Depression as such may occur in children, but seems uncommon. Unhappiness, where there are ood reasons to be unhappy, is more common.
Teens tend, at the best of times, to experience more emotional extremes, and to be reluctant to talk about this with adults, maybe especially parents. But assessment by a psychologist used to dealing with adolescents, can usually clarify things usefully.
Unfortunately, in divorces / separations, some parents do abuse the situation by getting a child involved in the conflict rather than protecting them, but it's hard to tell if that might be happening, without a proper assessment

2
Posted by: Jenn | 2011/08/03

Please don’ t leave him to his own devices…  my parents divorced, we moved to a new town, etc and I was in a VERY dark place with no one to help me. I was writing hate poetry and all sorts, acting out, the works, and my parents did NOTHING. So much could have been avoided had they taken notice…  Things like this can mess with your sons head for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time, and the last thing you want is for it to escalate to self-mutilation, running away, etc.

Reply to Jenn