Question
Posted by: Lina | 2011/03/24

Depressed and very concerned

Hi Doc,

I''m a 32 year old female. The last 3 months or so I have gained 6 kgs. I put it down to December holidays etc. About a week ago i started a very strict diet consuming +-3500 kj a day. in the hope of shocking my body into loosing some weight

I bought a meal supplement/replacement shake, had it for breakfast and lunch and then had an extremely light dinner (salmon salad, soup, etc). In addition to this I have purchased a fat burner which i take 3 times a day (Biogen products). I have also started drinking 2l water a day. I have cut out all sugar and junk food.

Last Friday (when i started the diet). I weighed 58 kgs. I weighed myself this morning and I now weigh 60kgs. I always weigh myself first thing in the morning before i eat or drink anything.

How is it possible for me to pick up 2kg in a week? especially after such strict diet regime???

Should i see i a doc?
Am i doing something wrong?

Please, please advise. I am so depressed I feel as if I never want to eat anything again.

Dear Lina
I must admit that it is strange that you have gained 2 kg in weight, when you have been on a starvation diet only providing 3500 kJ per day. I do think that you should perhaps have a medical checkup to see if there is not some hormone imbalance (thyroid, female hormones, insulin) that is causing this steady gain in weight. However, using a starvation diet and all kinds of diet pills and shakes is not a good idea and these factors, together with having too much liquid per day, could be responsible for the gain. For example, you need to check on the shake label if a serving exceeds 2100 kJ (1/3 of your suggested daily energy intake when slimming of 6300 kJ/day). If a serving contains more kJ (and quite a few of the products do), then it would not promote weightloss. Then there is the problem that the use of a starvation diet causes the body to go into 'conversation mode' to preserve itself. It is more sensible to use a balanced diet that provides about 6300 kJ/day, so that you body does not shut down its weightloss mechanisms and that you also have enough energy to exercise, etc. The 2 kg gain in weight could also be due to an electrolyte imbalance if you are consuming 2 litres of water a day in addition to drinking other liquids. Excessive liquid intake can cause losses of sodium, potassium, magnesium and even calcium, which then results in water retention which can make you weigh more, even if you have not gained any fat. Mention this to the dr when you consult him/her so that he/she can check if you have oedema (water retention).

1

Dear Lina