Question
Posted by: LayahX | 2009-03-24

Depressed and guilty

Hi doc

I' m 27 years old and recently I have been experiencing suicidal thoughts. I can' t seem to sleep lately and I find it hard to get up in the morning or to do everyday things like household chores and get scared at the thought of leaving the house. I have also lost interest in my husband romantically and whats worse is that I have negative feelings towards my baby. I often can' t control these feelings towards my child. And I shocked myself when I actually pictured myself killing my child. I can' t take this guilt I feel due to these awful feelings. I am such a bad person. Please help

Sounds very like a depression, and, since you mention a baby, PND, Post-Natal Depression, seems quite likely. Fortunately, it responds really well to treatment. You are absolutely NOT a bad person, and have nothing to feel guilty about, and these ugly thoughts are the depression speaking --- see a good local psychiatrist, or at least a good GP, as soon as possible, for a proper assessment and a discussion of treatment options, as with proper treatment you should be able before long, to be feeling much better, back to happy in your marriage and able to enjoy your child.