Question
Posted by: Tiny | 2008/09/15

depressed and breastfeeding

Is there anyone that can tell me what influense there is on a baby if the mother is breastfeeding and using anti depressants. She was on very high dose before she became pregnant until 2nd month of her pregnancy and only then it was changed to another medication, what I am not sure of. The only thing that worries me is that the little one is very sleepy annd does not respond for his age.

It depends entirelymon the antidepressant, the donse, etc. She MUST discuss this with the prescribing psychiatrist or doctor, who was very highly negligent if he/she did not carefully chose a safe medication, as they surely knew she was pregnant and then delivered of the child and would HWVE to ask and know whether she was breast-feeding.