Question
Posted by: MA | 2011/12/21

Depressed

Hi Cybershrink

I need to get some advice from you please. I’ m a 22 year old female. I have been through some rough times in my life. There are many things bothering me regarding my relationship with my parents. I come from some pretty bad times growing up. I coupled that with some real bad decision making from my part for a great deal of my life.

Anyway, for the past 2 years (it may be more) I have felt depressed at times. I sometimes feel so down that I have suicide thoughts. I get irritated real fast. I sometimes have problems sleeping. I forget stuff very easy. It feels like my head is going at a thousand paces per seconds, almost like something is chasing me and I don’ t really know what. I am constantly tired, low on energy and sometimes I don’ t have the courage to get out of bed and live the day. Furthermore I get myself in a state of mind that I do not really see a purpose in life.

I am a single mom and do not have financial means to see a psychiatrist. I live in Polokwane and feel the need to get help before this takes up my whole life. Is there anywhere you can refer me too? I heard that allot of the medicine that are distributed at government hospitals might not really work very well?

I would appreciate any advice/help you can provide.

Regards,

MA

Have you explored what psych services are available to you through the nearest major sate / privinicial hospitals or clinics ? The state has promised to ensure that such services are available, though of course actual availability and quality varies far more greatly than it should.
While such clinics / hospitals don't have available every single possible drug such as the most recent or most expensive antidepressants, they do have a good number available, which should be able to be helpful. It is not true that the ones they use are less effective than others they don't have access to. None of the ADs suit everyone - around 50 to 70 % of us respond well to the first one we try, some of us may need to properly try 2 or 3 to find the one that suits us best, whether at a state clinic or in private practice.
Also explore whether the clinic / hospital has an availability of counselling from a psychologist or social worker. Check with the Anxiety/Depression Support group nationally, to see if there is a local group in Polokwane which you could also attend

1